Sunday, October 18, 2009

Restoration Update

The Hornet has been in Los Angeles the last month or so where the body work is being done. Here are a few pictures from about 3 weeks ago.






I haven't had a chance to go check the progress--but hope to have time next week to see how it is progressing. I think he is done with the entire passenger side and back. I would really like to have the body work and paint done by the end of the year.

The front fenders are both done and look great. Here is a picture of one that is done.



Also got the hood back. This still needs some work but is starting to look pretty good.



And yes, if you were wondering, I am keeping all the parts that are complete in the house. I would like to thank my amazing wife for letting me fill the extra room with car parts!

I also had the radiator re-cored a few months ago. Here it is:



Just about all of the chrome is done. I took some of the pieces out to look at and photograph. Here is just sample of the chrome that is ready to go:



Over the last several months just about all of the stainless steel has been straightened and polished. I tried to take a few pictures but they just didn't look that great with the light reflections. Also have all the glass and window channeling ready to go. In addition I received my order with most of the rubber pieces on the car. We also decided that the Hornet is going to be Coronation Cream. After looking at hundreds of cars at the Hudson National meet in Detroit, we have finally decided on the color. Here is a test shot that we did just to make sure that we really liked the color.



Well, that is all for now. Hopefully I can get some pictures this week and update.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Tom! Just discovered your Hudson restoration tonite. Super job your dad and you are doing now. I just bought a 1954 Hudson Super Wasp with the Twin-H package 2 weeks ago. I live in Compton, Québec Canada about 30 minutes north of Vermont state. Luckily, the car came originaly from California in 1980 and was garaged since then. Will need a resto too anyway because of that long storage. The car was in a moving truck! The doors and some parts were apart but I was able to find the hinges in some boxes. The motor is stuck but it looks like it is because of long storage. Will have to investigate. Should begin to work on it in a few months because I have to finish a 1957 Willys first. I am 57 and I have been looking for a Hudson since 35 years about. Got the Hudson disease at the age of 9 when my dad bought a 1951 Hudson Hornet convertible for... $125.00 in near new condition in 1962! He bought a 1953 Twin-H and I used to make a house in the back yard in the remains of a...1954 Hudson! Will follow your resto! Congratulations to you folks! P.S. And bravo to your girl friend who originated this with her bubble car need!Michel.